Spiced honey-glazed almonds
The November 2015 issue of Bee Culture magazine (www.BeeCulture.com
) published the first of a two-part article titled, “A Holiday Meal with Honey.” It features recipes from Angelo Prosperi-Porta’s new honey cookbook, titled, simply enough “Honey.”
½ cup paprika
3 Tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cumin
½ cup honey
2 large egg whites
2 tsp liquid smoke
1 Tbsp kosher salt
2 ½ lb whole almonds
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Sift together the paprika, cayenne, ginger, and cumin into a bowl.
- In a bowl large enough to hold the almonds, whisk together the honey, egg whites, liquid smoke, and salt until slightly foamy. Add the almonds and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture into the bowl. Toss to coat the nuts evenly.
- Spread out onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Try to separate the nuts to keep them from sticking together.
- Bake for approximately 20 to 30 minutes or until the coating is dry and crispy. Remove and cool completely on the baking sheets. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 6 ½ cups.